Wednesday 15 March 2017

EATING IN PUBLIC

Let us know what you think about table manners.



UK family spends on average more than £45 a week on restaurants and hotels for the first time in five years, according to the Office for National Statistics report "Family Spending in the UK".


Londoners are spending even more.


Do people care more about table manners when they go out more often? Apparently, yes. But not in a way you would necessarily expect. At least not according to Jemma, a young marketing manager based in Fitzrovia.


I want to relax when I go out. I won't go to places where they expect me to use five sets of cutlery. I won't go out with people who judge others, especially if the judgement is based on forks and knives. Eating should not be complicated. And going out should be fun not trial. It is enough I visit my grandparents twice a year.


A few minutes later into conversation and Jemma makes her own judgement. About the girl who drinks her gin with a straw. It is not a done thing in Jemma’s circles. The full sausage hanging on the fork and gnawed on each side in turns is fine. But a straw in a glass… How further low can you go?







No comments:

Post a Comment